Monday 7 June 2010

Wokingham Road/Grange Avenue shooting

I was shocked and saddened to hear that last night there was a shooting on the corner of Grange Avenue and the Wokingham Road outside one of the shops. A man has been injured. Get Reading has a bit of detail here but not much is in the public domain yet.

As a local ward councillor I was informed that the police are having a "Gold Star" meeting this afternoon -- very high level. I have asked that the police keep up patrols in the area to reassure members of the public and keep me informed.

I think we need tougher licensing on guns, cutting off the gun supply to the UK and banning the sale of replica guns will bring down violent crime. We need solutions that work, not political posturing: I don't care about looking tough, I only care about stopping people being injured and killed.

Fortunately, gun crime is relatively low in Reading!

No comments: