Friday 28 December 2012

Pictures of the flooding at Horseshoe bridge where the Kennet meets the Thames #rdg

By popular demand I donned my wellies and got a few photos down at the Horseshoe bridge – where the Kennet meets the Thames at the boundary of Reading and Wokingham.

It is still pretty bad down there. I saw a few people wading through the water in trainers heading to Tesco, but I definitely wouldn't recommend this!

Fortunately in this neck of the woods the flooding is not anywhere near houses at the moment. I popped into the Jolly Anglers on Boxing Day – which is on the Kennet Side – but they seem pretty relaxed about the situation.

One of the things that contributes to flooding is people concreting over their front gardens. In 2008 the Council changed the planning rules on this to persuade people to use materials which will absorb water rather than causing run-off, overloading the storm drains and worsening flooding. Still more to do, but this is a step in the right direction.

Anyway, enough of me, here are a few pictures.

Rob and floodingIMAG0011IMAG0012IMAG0015IMAG0008

5 comments:

Karen said...

Looks amazing and much higher than on Monday when I cycled from tvp. Are there any plans to tidy up the riverside after the water recedes? There were huge numbers of cans and bottles left stranded after the last floods and it looked awful.

Rob White said...

No plans that I am aware of. Unfortunately this area is in Wokingham and the Council is not very interested in it in my experience – although one of the councillors has been very helpful. I will happily pick a few bits of litter next time I am down there and if others do the same that will help. Let me know when the river has gone down, if you happen to be passing and notice.

Unknown said...

Just seen this, what a mess that area is.
Folk up in arms about the new Road destroying the area, but don't go out and clear up a bit.
Fwiw I have been litter picking the river at TVP recently, the guys from Oracle are very good at clearing it from beside the bins.
Must have got a good dozen bin liners out.

Unknown said...

Just seen this, what a mess that area is.
Folk up in arms about the new Road destroying the area, but don't go out and clear up a bit.
Fwiw I have been litter picking the river at TVP recently, the guys from Oracle are very good at clearing it from beside the bins.
Must have got a good dozen bin liners out.

Rob White said...

Thanks for the comment. I was out with Newtown GLOBE litter picking the area at the weekend. If you want help out in future send me an email and I will add you to our Newtown GLOBE email list rob@readinggreenparty.org.uk