Tuesday, 27 September 2011

Judicial review on Maiden Erlegh?

Here is the latest update from officers on Maiden Erlegh:

"It has been bought to my attention that some parents who feel they have “lost out” as a result of the recent decision by the Secretary of State to direct the Maiden Erlegh Academy have launched a campaign and have won the support of their MP (John Redwood). It is reported online at http://www.getwokingham.co.uk/news/education/s/2100326_hands_off_maiden_erlegh_school_catchment. The report correctly notes that the only recourse now open to those who object is judicial review – an expensive and time consuming process which will not be entered lightly by either the school or Wokingham council. There is a time limit of three months (I believe) to make such objections which means there is a deadline around the start of December.

Wokingham’s plan of record is to invest in Bulmershe and when they make that decision I think it will close the current chapter on ME catchment areas. We have no reason to believe that the school will pursue judicial review at this stage.

I say the “current chapter” as the school can consult on changing admission arrangements each year. There is a risk to parents from this, so in addition to Wokingham investing in Bulmershe, it is worth noting that RBC continues to seek a solution to the space pressures. The first is continuing to actively support the bid for a Free School in East Reading, led by Reading College. The second is to submit a expression of interest to the recently announced national school building programme (see Cabinet 26th September) to seek funding for a secondary school in East Reading in case the Free School bid is not successful. The provision of additional capacity in the area will provide real choice and reduce the level of anxiety parents feel.

Officers are not planning to engage further in the discussion about current admission arrangements but will monitor any actions taken by Maiden Erlegh for future admissions consultation rounds."

2 comments:

breze said...

YES to seeking funds for a secondary school in East Reading.

NO to supporting Rob Wilson's blueprint for a free school with vocational streaming.

People are opposed to this bid/ proposition as it is will not be a school for your average pupil wanting to progress with traditional subjects after the age of 14. [as outlined in the public meeting earlier this year]. It will be a vocational college with 'input' from corporate sponsors. These big name sponsors know VERY little about what's going on.

Rob Wilson and Oxford & Cherwell Valley College [who own Reading College] couldn't answer the simplest of questions about theuir vision.

Rob - second best is not good enough after years of RBC's neglect of educational provision.

The words 'fence sitting' and 'greasy pole' are being used about quite a few local councillors and local polititions at the moment.

Rob M said...

I think that a technical college, as proposed, is a great idea - as long as it is in addition to and not a replacement for a new secondary school for East Reading.